Friday, December 02, 2005

Love letter from the TSA

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well. Depending on what time zone you're in, it's either afternoon (in Taiwan) or early morning (back home).

So let's see, where do I start?

The flight was not as painful as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong - It still felt like a long assed time, but I wasn't totally bored like I thought I'd be.

Just for the record, the website was wrong on the movies (unless I read it wrong). I saw Must Love Dogs (cute and predictable), The Island (sucked the big one - Scarlett, what were you thinking?), Polar Express (so-so, bordering on creepy because the animation was a little too lifelike) and Fantastic 4 (only caught the end so it was ok).

Like usual (when I travel), it still hasn't totally sunk in that I'm here. I get into this airplane, and hours later I'm somewhere else. Usually it's just a different part of the US. This time it's a different part of the world.

Kinda crazy.

The entire flight it felt like all I was doing was sitting and eating. The food was pretty good (I think my lunchtie training with TV dinners has done me well). No real complaints there.

This time the flight stopped in Osaka, Japan - The airport was a little depressing. I coudln't put my finger on what it was - I guess I was expecting a little more? (shrug) It was lit up by those really really birght and intense lights that you commonly see in gymnasiums - so that might have killed it for me.

The flight from Osaka to Taipei was pretty uneventful. I was so tired that I was pretty much asleep for most of the trip.

I was awake for dinner though :)

My dad picked me up at the airport and we made the journey to Taichung by bus - Another 2 hours or so.

So yesterday I'd been travelling for almost 24 hours. A new record for me :)

As I opened my luggage, I was pleasantly surprised with a card from the TSA saying that they had gone through my luggage. Which was nice because usually I didn't think they let you know - you just opened up your luggage and stuff woudln't be where you expected.

The note also said that I should get some new clothes, I'm too old for Superman underwear, and that I should learn how to pack my suitcase better.

Just kidding.

Whoever packed my suitcase did do a pretty good job though :)

The weather's been pretty nice. Before I left I had checked the weather report and it said that it would rain every day. I seemed to have dodged the rain bullet today. Hopefully I'll have good weather the rest of the week.

So on a cultural note, it's election time here. I think the actual election is tomorrow. But the candidates (or representatives) drive around in these huge well decorated car caravans with loudspeakers blaring. It's usually someone talking, / yelling but I've also heard drums, firecrackers, and just other randomness. Also, the president (of Taiwan) is coming to visit tonight, so there's a bunch of cops patroling the streets as well.

Today was a day of rest so we've been taking it easy. My dad took me around town to do some light shopping.

Tomorrow (and the next few days) we'll be doing the Tour of Taiwan to visit some family and sightsee...

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home