Saturday, October 05, 2002

Hey there,

It's me again.

I don't know why it happens, but it's late again. The big man's furniture store journey is scheduled to start today at 7:00 a.m. And I'm still online. I was making a list, checking it twice. Want to buy some cool sheeat today. I'm peepin the Canadian Furniture Store of the Man's website. Looks like I'm only going to get to the "Kitchen" section - Alas, I will have to rely on being seduced by the store displays and making my selections that way.

Isn't the web great? I can read my mail, surf the web, write in my blog, and drink water, all at the same time, without ever having to get up. Except for bio breaks. And food. And more water. So maybe the web's not so great after all. It's a great supplement to life though. The answer to any question that I (or anyone else, for that matter) have can be answered in a few keyboard and mouse clicks. Good old Google. Thanks to John for introducing me to that search engine. What did we do before the Internet? Remember "World Book" encyclopedias?

The only time that I have a breakdown in the knowledge quest process is when I ponder a question and there's no Internet near by. Oooh, not a pretty sight. That question is left to stand in the cold, lonely, not well maintained ghetto area of my brain that is labeled "temporary storage facility." What is this facility that I speak of, you ask? Hmm. It's like a change machine. Remember those at like arcades and whatnot? You put in your dollar, and crossed your fingers that 4 quarters/tokens would come out. Yeah, it's kind of like that. All you're trying to do through this interaction is to leave with the same amount of whatever you put in, right? Well, properly maintained machines, no problem. Put in the dollar, get the 4 quarters. Poorly maintained machines? You'd be lucky to get 3 quarters. You get my drift?

For instance, I was in North Carolina a month or so ago. I'm sitting at dinner with a coworker. I believe we were having crablegs. Anyway, not relevant - during our course of conversation, there are 3 or 4 burning questions that I had. Obviously, in your average restaurant, the internet is not easy to come by, especially when your hands have a strong amount of Crab "essence" on them. So, I took a chance and placed the 4 questions into the "facility." Fast forward to next morning - Sit in front of the computer, draw a blank. I ended up, through many times of circling the facility and trying to pick up thoughts, managed to rescue 2 of the 3 or 4 questions. Retention rate = bad. I'd be beating the crap out of that vending machine by now.

What are the questions we had, you may ask? Hmmm... I only remember one now. It was what a "snow crab" looks like when it's whole. Before it is reduced to legs and the white part on the top that joins them all together. Here's your quarter - Don't spend it all in one place ;)

OK, must go to sleep now - otherwise, I won't be much fun in the car, I'm sure.

Catcha later,
Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home