Sunday, March 28, 2004

A new standard of measurement - the Camry.

Hi all,

Hope you're having a great weekend.

I had an unexpected visit from Drew today - Apparently, he was in the area helping someone move, so when he was done, he swung on by and we hung out for a bit.

He had to buy some fertilizer for his lawn, so we went to the local hardware store. Being newbies, we forgot to find out how many square feet his property is.

I've only been to Drew's house a few times - And I'm terrible at guesstimating distances, so I wasn't much help. Until I started to think about how to figure it out. So we ended up thinking of it this way - How many Camrys could we park end to end in front of his house?

As a little background info, Drew works for Toyota and actually owns a Camry so I figure he'd have an idea of how long his car was.

I know, I know, very unscientific (4 Camrys) but it helped us guesstimate that he'd only need one bag (to cover less than 5000 square feet).

We'll see if we got it right :)

Anyway, on a slightly weirder note, I had an odd experience while shopping today. Maybe I was in a weird mood or something, but I was a little weirded out by what happened.

So there I was, looking at stuff in the automotive aisle, minding my own business - All of a sudden, this (I'm guessing) older teenaged kid just kind of shows up and starts asking me questions about stereo stuff. So I just kind of answer his question and I resume my browsing, trying to give the vibe that I'm just not feeling social - Nothing personal intended, just not feeling like socializing, I guess...

So the guy just keeps on talking, trying to make small talk. Then his dad shows up, and I get introduced to his dad. And then he introduces himself.

(Is it odd yet, or is it just me?)

So then, they start asking me stuff about myself, like what I do, where I work, where I live, where I went to school...

(Odd yet?)

So this entire time, I'm feeling rather uncomfortable for some reason. I don't know if it's the line of questioning, the mood I was in (wanting to shop in peace), or what.

So I guess the dad finally got the hint so he and his son moved on.

I'm not really sure what to think. I was caught off guard because people don't usually strike up personal conversations with total strangers while shopping, do they? Unless you're trying to pick someone up, of course :)

It raises some thoughts for me though - Have I become so untrusting of strangers? Are my days of thinking that most people do things with good intentions over?

If so, I'm sad.

Hopefully this was just a one time deal (I'll mark it up to me feeling "off" today).

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home