Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Breakfast with the Chief.

Hey all,

Hope you're doing well this evening.

2.5 weeks of class down! Only 8.5 more weeks to go. Heh.

So what's on the mind tonight.

I've still not been feeling like myself. Not sure why. I have a feeling lack of sleep may have something to do with it, but I'm not quite certain.

I was a total space cadet this morning. Just totally spacey.

So yesterday I attended a breakfast where the "Chief Yahoo" spoke. Seriously, that's how they introduced him - I got to hear Jerry Yang, one of the founding dudes of Yahoo!, speak at an AdClub breakfast function. It was neat to hear him speak. He was very comfortable, low key, and casual. None of the dotcom rah rah bullshit I was used to from back in tha day. I know the setting was totally different (I wasn't listening to the standard corprate speech), so I don't know how he is with his employees. I would imagine he's the same way behind closed doors as well.

I guess I'll never really know for sure. (sigh)

The chief talked about the future of marketing, internet trends, etc. Nothing too groundbreaking, but it was interesting to listen to nonetheless. The main takeaway was this: Kids that are going off to college this year have hardly any idea what life is like without the Internet.

Feel old? I feel a no shoes, uphill both ways story a brewin'

Anyway, my former coworker, P, invited me to the function - I got a glimpse into how the "other side" lived.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

You know what? You bet your ass it was greener. We're talking golf course grade.

Seriously though, just a whole different crowd. (read between the lines)

Obviously, you never know if it's really a front, but everyone that I met seemed to be very pleased and passionate (at least semi-passionate) about their jobs. Don't get me wrong - for the most part I like my job, but I don't like like it.

Ya hurd?

Anyway, so P's company bought up like 3 tables at this function. And where did we sit? Front row and center. If we were at a comedy show, everyone at our table would have been fair game.

the food was pretty tasty. The venue was nice as well.

It's weird to go into a hotel and not stay there. I was impressed as how nice it was inside. I'd been there one time before (for MZ's wedding) but for some reason I hadn't paid attention, or went in through the servant's entrance or something. Not sure.

So of course, we got to take home some Yahoo! gear. In the schwag bag was a T-shirt, a sticker, and a nifty clear purple frisbee. Plus, I got a chance to be out of the office! Not a bad deal for just knowing people ;)

-Kirk



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home