Friday, September 23, 2005

NY recap (part one until I fall asleep)

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well.

As usual, my four day work week has felt like a five. Not really sure why that happens. Hopefully I can still remember what we did...

My post vacation glow lasted a little longer this time, but I'll get into why a little later.

So where do I start?

Ahh, New York City in the fall...

I arrived around 2ish on Friday afternoon. Nothing major to report, but I was glad to be off the plane because the dude next to me was hogging the arm rest the entire time. I was reduced to waiting for him to shift and then I'd put my arm below his.

Childish I know, but I had to do what I had to do. Luckily I have a big brother so I had prior practice :)

So Geneman was there to pick me up at the airport in his dapper Wall Street work clothes. I, on the other hand, was in scrubby weekend wear so I'm sure we looked like an odd pair walking around.

He's usually better dressed than I am when he visits so I'm used to it by now.

After dropping my stuff off at the apartmtent we headed to get some food at Burger Joint, which is this little hideaway restaruant in the Le Parker Meridien hotel - Geneman, the native New Yorker, knew about this place (and where exactly to find it).

It was really interesting to see the contrast of this greasy little burger place nestled within a posh hotel.

At least now I can say I've dined at Le Parker Meridien.

We poked around downtown on our way to the MoMA. Of course, we had to stop by Trump Tower so I could walk out of the door like the fired Apprentices do.

Except we didn't get into a cab and zoom off (and almost hit someone while pulling out into traffic).

The MoMA was pretty amazing. Plus, Gene knew about the Target hookup so we were able to get in for free (cause it was Target Free Friday Night). We definitely got our money's worth cause we were there for quite a few hours.

The best exhibit for me was the audio exhibit featuring 40 discrete channel surround sound. Unfortunately i was lame and didn't make note of who the artist was...

After that I was pretty much museumed out.

For the evening's entertainment, I got a glimpse into Gene's after work world at the Gotham Girls Roller Derby.

If it weren't for Gene, I would have never gone to see an event like this - It was pretty entertaining. By the end of the night, I was finally getting the gist of how everything worked.

The whole sports thing still baffles me.

After the event (around midnight or so) Gene and I went to Korea Town to get some late night Be Bim Bop. So tasty. Over dinner we caught up on what was (or wasn't) going on with our lives.

Just like old times.

(to be continued)

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home