Thursday, September 01, 2005

East Coast recap (part 2)

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well this evening.

So where was I? I don't remember what I was doing last night (why I didn't have a blog entry). Oh yeah, now I remember. I got caught up into watching the Real World.

So where was I? I left off towards the end of the day in D.C., right?

So Saturday evening we left the nation's capital and went back to JDO's house.

By this time, I was starting to feel sleepy.

Very sleepy.

It didn't help that JDO and Lisa Lisa had this cmagic ouch in their house that no matter how you sat in it, you eventually became pretty much horizontal. You just kind of sunk in it after a little while. It also seduced and lured you in to sleepytime.

Where was this couch when I was in college? I can see visits from the opposite sex ending differently...

Anyway, we watched some music videos.

Nodding off once in a while.

So by that time, it was time for dinner. Lisa Lisa cooked this crazy steak and potatoe dinner for us. I hadn't had a good piece o steak in a long long time. Anyway, After my McDonalds earlier on in the day and then the steak dinner, I was guilted into having a few leaves of salad as well.

Just for a symbolic gesture and nutritional balance, of course.

After dinner we watched the original Wallace and Gromit shorts on DVD. I've always liked seeing the characters, but I'd never seen the actual shorts. It's amazing what they do with claymation. I coudln't imagine how much time and patience it takes to do a scene though.

I can't wait for the movie to come out.

One other thing of note - we had homemade Oatmeal and Butterscotch for dessert. and to top it all off, it was served à la mode.

Love it.

So now I know I like butterscotch. Who knew?

So on to the next day...

On Sunday, we saw the 40 Year-Old Virgin. Overall it was a great comedy. We really enjoyed it.

We may have been the only ones in the theater that enjoyed it, we're not sure.

There were times when I felt like we were the only ones laughing in the theater. Seriously. It was pretty quiet And it wasn't just in some parts. It seemed like the entire movie.

(shrug)

I guess the silver lining when nobody else laughs is that we were able to catch all the dialogue throughout the entire movie.

For dinner, we went to thise neat little Italian Restaurant called Olazzo. I strongly recommend the Shrimp Rose dish (penne pasta and sautéed shrimp in a creamy tomato sauce). I'm all about the independent restaurants when I travel. The restaurant had a great ambience and feel to it - Complete with "simulated" fireplace :)

After dinner, we explored JDO and Lisa Lisa's 'hood and took their dog Zoe for a walk in a little roadside park. By this time, the weather had really cooled down so it was actually nice to walk around outside without breaking into a sweat. I got to snap some pictures too, which was nice.

The night was topped off with watching the MTV VMAs. I don't know if it's because I'm not as easily impressed anymore, but to me it wasn't anything majorly exciting or anything of note.

You had to like rap music though :)

Unforutnately we were lame and didn't finish watching the whole thing. I was falling asleep.

Blame it on the couch.

So Monday, JDO took me to the furniture store of the man. Similar to all shopping experiences, I recommend going during the weekday. It wasn't crowded at all. We had our Sweedish meatball lunch and we cruised the store.

Loved the food, but the major bummer was that they didn't have my favorite lingonberry juice. They were actually out of everything except water, Diet Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

Dissed.

Anyway, shopping was rather light for me - I knew whatever I bought, I'd have to carry home on the plane. And I didn't want to check my bag either. So if it didn't fit in my carry on, I wasn't going to get it. It was all good though - there wasn't anything I absolutely had to have.

Once the Ikea experience was over, it was time to return to the airport and get into the big metal tube and fly back home.

Like before, the flight was early so I got home like 20 minutes before I was supposed to. Only one screaming kid this time.

It was great seeing JDO and Lisa Lisa. It had been like 3 years or so since I saw them in Ann Arbor witih my brother.

Special thanks to them for letting me stay at their house. Hopefully they'll come and visit me sometime :)

-Kirk

1 Comments:

At 3:08 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a great time in DC!!!!!!!!

2 more weekends and we finally meet!!! =)

ps. i can't believe tehre are people who didn't find the 40 year old virgin funny. they must be really old, or dead, or have no sense of humour. it's the funniest movie i have seen in a very very logn time.

-stef

 

Post a Comment

<< Home