Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Hola,

How's it going? Another rainy everywhere else but here evening. I'm serious, for the past few days, we've had these truly scattered showers around here that have caused random floods and whatnot. It's good and bad. It's good because the rain has cooled the temps down. Bad because the lawns and whatnot need water pretty badly. Ahh well, whatever. It's supposed to be pretty hot the latter part of the week though.

So one question has been weighing heavily on the mind tonight.

Does one have to sell out and be all serious (i.e., businesslike) to get ahead in corporate america? I'm afraid that the answer is going to be yes. I always like to help people loosen up at meetings by cracking a few jokes here and there, and kinda seeing how everyone reacts. And I guess that's why I like to be the lower man on the totem pole. I don't have to be as serious, and can pretty much be like myself. My cohorts that I deal with on a regular basis know me pretty well, and they know when I'm joking, and I know that they completely understand how my jokes are. But the people that don't know me? I'm sure they just think I'm just the young punk in the office :) Up to no good.

Cause that's the thing - Do middle and upper managers get silly on a regular basis, make jokes and whatnot? Not just in meetings. You know, just around the office, talking to people and whatever. Or are managers just limited to corny kid/family friendly shite that everyone laughs at because they're sucking up? You know what I'm talking about (the office meeting laugh just to be polite because you don't want the boss to think that you don't think his jokes are funny). I guess management has to be careful though, as they can't offend, make innuendoes, and whatnot, because they have to set an "example" for their peeps and whatnot. Ugh. Maybe you do have to sell out and grow up to succeed in corporate america. That blows.

I guess that's why I'm not management material? Maybe I'll feel the need to sell out later. Who knows. Right now, I'm just having fun being a small cog in the man's machinery. :)

-Kirk





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home