Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Hey all,

At work today, we had a "health screening" fair type of thingy. For like 10 bucks, the sponsors would draw your blood and screen it for stuff. I had forgotten to make an appointment, so I was lucky enough to get a walk-in spot and get hooked up. Everything went pretty fast, blood drawing went well - I forgot to fast, so I guess the results won't be as good. Oh well. I'll find out my results probably this weekend or something.

So the sponsors had some informational tables set up on the way out. Pretty interesting stuff, let me tell you. I found out that there's a difference between the clinical terms of overweight and obese. I had no idea. There was this card thing with a dial on it. You matched up your height and weight, and it showed you where you were (normal, overweight, obese, etc.). I found out that I'm overweight. :) Woo hoo! So I'm going to rename the health screening fair to the "give you low self-esteem fair." Heh. I guess last year, they would measure your body fat as well. I'm sure many people were happy about that :)

The most amusing thing out of the fair was what I call the "tubes of fat" display. Whenever I read nutrition information, I just look at how many grams of this and that are in it. I see the percentages, and that's about it. But I guess I never really thought about how much say, X grams of fat or Y grams of sugar actually was. Well, this company put the exact amount of fat and sugar of different foots into individual test tubes. I was severly traumatized when I saw the test tube for my former favorite McDonalds sandwich, the Big Mac. I'm telling you, the test tube was just FULL to the top with fat. Ugh. I don't exactly know how many grams of fat it was, but it sure looked like a whole hell of a lot. They had other things like brownies, doughnuts, etc. Severly troubled, I'm telling you. I'll probably chill on the big macs and brownies for a little bit. And the amount of sugar in a can of coke? Fugghettaboutit!

So while treadmilling today, I saw a movie trailer for another movie featuring an Asian dude kicking some major ass. Is that what all Asians are good for in movies? Doing kung-fu fighting shit? Don't get me wrong, we look pretty good doing it, as stereotypey as it is. But I'd like to see Asians playing in a wider variety of movies. We have some areas lightly covered, but I'd like to see more Asians in the "entertainment industry." I tip may hat to all of the Asian actors that are trying to make it, but we definitely need more.

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home