Thursday, June 12, 2003

Hi all,

Hope you're having a good night. It has been a very odd day for me indeed.

On two separate occasions during the workday (and by two people that most likely do not have any relation to each other - I say most likely because I can't really confirm this, but I'm fairly certain), two ladies totally called me out by saying that I looked really young. Like really young. Like High School young. On snap! Oh no she didn't!

One lady thought that I was someone's kid, just walking around the office (I had seen her a few times before). So after this incident, I just kind of blew it off - She was this Asian lady in a different department. I dunno, I think it's a cultural thing, but Asians have this thing with age. Like the older you are, the more respected you are. Which it seems like the total opposite in the US. I guess she thought I was low on the "needing respect" scale. So theoretically, I'd probably have to just take whatever she was dishing out to me since she was my elder. (shrug)

So fast forward to the afternoon...

The other lady was totally busting my balls in the middle of a meeting in a room where I only knew like 4 people out of the 15 or so that were in attendance. I didn't even know her (I think it would have been different if I had known her becuase I'd know if she was just joking around or was serious). I just sat there because I was stunned. At my previous employer, when stuff like that was said, you were pretty much expected to come back with something snappy as well. I wasn't sure what to do. I guess I was hoping that the HR police was going to bust down the door and haul her ass off to diversity training or something. Something where she had to watch a lot of boring videos and listen to guest speakers. No such luck. So I just kind of shrugged her off. I think I was better off just doing that - Hopefully the room (and my manager) thought so too.

So you guessed it - Now I have a complex. Again. Ugh. I had just kind of forgotten about it back in the day when being a young internet "professional" was cool and stuff. People were impressed - all you had to say was that you worked on stuff for the Internet and people would be wowed and have visions of dollar signs and young people driving fancy cars and shit. Just like how it was fantasized on TV. Like MTV Cribs or something.

I guess I had kind of forgotten - I mean, I get the feeling that I'm pretty young in my group and probably throughout the whole company. I'm not married, have no kids, etc., etc. Talks about soccer practice and crap like that doesn't interest me quite yet. So in the back of my mind, I sense the generation gap. But today was a blatant slap in the face - twice.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it has to be. But I guess that's why I threw my hat in bloggerdom. This way, I can get it out there, and move on. Plus it lets you see that even though I live like a rockstar, I'm just a normal person with regular problems too ;) heh. Riiight.

OK, so what else...

I got a letter from the X today. Probably the first real e-mail in years and years. It's sad, because while I was reading her e-mail, I seriously felt like I was reading something from a total stranger, not a long lost friend. I was saddened. Ahh well. Life goes on. It's too bad, really.

You may be asking why she's resurfaced after a long absence - Her best friend (who is a good friend of mine as well) is getting married next weekend. My X is the best lady. So, she'll be there with her fiancee. I'm going to be the guy playing music. Hopefully this combination does not make for awkward moments. We'll see.

Bye for now...

-Kirk


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home