Saturday, June 26, 2004

Look! A free boat!

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well this evening.

Just a few quick notes before going to bed (as usual). I need to get back onto a normal schedule as the vacation is winding down. Plus, as an added bonus, I have to get ready for school shite next week.

OK, let's see, what's on the mind tonite.

The lady on the ebay commercial is cute (the one that sings to (I'm guessing) her husband while she's standing at the bookcase)).

Random, yes. Let's move on.

Today was another picture perfect day. When it wasn't sunny, it was a tad chilly - Had the fleece on today for the first part of the day.

the last weekday of my vacation. What did I do? My mom and I spent part of it inside and part of it outside - At a place none other than the outlet mall up north. Pretty uneventful - Nothing too exciting on the purchase front.

But on the way home, we saw an abandoned pontoon boot on the side of the highway. I couldn't overcome my sudden urge to shout, "Free Boat!" Now if I only had a sport ute... Seriously, it's on the shoulder of southbound I-75. Kind of random. I couldn't really think of a good reason why someone would leave their big boat on the side of the road like that. Just didn't feel like towing it anymore? It's like how sometimes you just see an abandoned shoe on the side of the road. How does that happen?

Mark one up on the mysteries of highway transportation.

What else...

Today I got a chance to walk down the memory lane of my worthless stocks. For the past few years, the stock options people have been sending me statements of my securities from the 2 defunct dot coms where I used to work. So yes, in one account, I have 3 pennies, and the other I have about 60 cents (current market value). And, I still get statements. Two, to be exact. Each is about 2 or 3 pages too.

Today it finally bugged me enough to call and close my accounts. So I made the call...

So here's what I found:
- Both of my stock options accounts were never activated
- Activation takes one day to go through
- I can't close my accounts without actually trading the worthless stocks
- Making a trade will take 3 business days to fully clear
- I will be charged a commission for selling my worthless shares of stock
- One of my worthless stocks is no longer trading and I have to fill out some form to get rid of it and activate the account
- I have a third account that I didn't even know about from my first job

So from my long call what did I do? I closed the account from my first employer that I didn't know I had. Oh yeah, I activated one of my accounts too.

Is it worth the 63 cents? The lazy side of me says just to keep the accounts open and just keep on getting these statements in the mail. The closeted tree hugger in me says that I should stop the madness and stop killing more trees.

Decisions Decisions... I'll try calling next week and I'll get right on filling out that form too.

-Kirk




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home