Monday, October 04, 2004

Community dessert - seriously.

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well and you had a nice weekend. It's been nice, but it's definitely getting colder. Fall is definitely here, and I'm sure happy winter is coming around the corner.

My dad went back to the homeland today. And I was thinking that I'd be back at the airport in a little bit over a month as well. Florida is a month and 3 days away... I'm sure it'll be nice to get away from the cold.

So what's been going on...

Having class on Friday nights is going to shorten my lifespan.

Fridays used to be kickass. Jeans day, being across the street in the other office, every other week a payday, going out to lunch, etc. Come 5ish, I'd get ready to go home and that was that. Taking it easy the rest of the night.

Now I have to get out a little bit earlier, and rush home to get to class on time. Lovely. So get this - We are pretty much the only class in the building. They keep it open for one class. Can you believe it? Oh and for the people that want to meet with their group projects and use the computer lab.

It's Friday night - Are people really going to be going to the schol to use the computer lab or work on group projects? Most likely not. But there were a few good academic citizens.

Not that my Friday nights are that exciting. I'm in freakin' class anyway.

Which leads me to my experiences this weekend...

Saturday I got to hang out with a very good friend from High School - M. She was in town with her husband for a college friend's wedding. It was totally great to see her. We went to a cider mill to pick up some stuff, but we ended up just hanging out outside - We were busy catching up and feeding the ducks that lived at the mill.

I only get to see her about once a year, so it's always a treat to see her - I saw her last November at the reunion.

Anyway, she kept on trying to convince me to go out with her and her homies to have dessert. And for some reason, I was really reluctant. Just because I didn't really know these people at all - They were all friends from college. M went to the other school ;)

But M was very persistent, so I gave in and ended up meeting them for dessert at the restaurant where they were eating (I had plans to eat with my parents so I couldn't go to the dinner portion of the evening).

It was very enjoyable having dessert with them - Everyone was really nice. Her homies even invited me over to their house - They were going to sit around a fire pit and drink cider. Which was pretty cool because I've never been around a fire pit in the fall before.

And I love the smell of burning firewood - It just makes me think of fall.

Anyway, so there were 6 people - And everyone wanted to share a dessert. We ended up getting 3 desserts. No big deal right? I was thinking we'd get a bunch of plates, and just pass the desserts around, and just take whatever you wanted right?

No.

It was the funniest thing - Everyone had their own spoon, and we rotated the desserts around the table. Everyone just took a spoon scoop and passed the dessert to the left. Now that's what I call close friends :)

Instead of passing the dutchie, we were passing the dessert on the left hand side.

Anyway, so it was a really unique way of eating dessert, that's for sure. But then the system broke down, and everyone had their favorites.

So the passing just stopped.

M and I got the Key Lime pie. But I whined enough to get some more of the Oreo Brownie Sundae. It was worth the whining.

So at the end of the evening, while driving home, I realized that it had been such a long time since I'd been out socializing, that I'd forgotten how to do so. Like I'd been in my existing friends only comfort zone for so long that I hadn't met anyone new (non work or school related) in the longest time.

When did I become so anti-social?

So on the drive home, I decided that I was going to try and make more of an effort to meet people. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do that yet, but I will.

Somehow.

-Kirk


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home