Monday, January 03, 2005

Tempted by the fruit of another (in muzak)

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well.

Ahh, the first day back to work. Gotta love it. And, in typical fashion, there was a welcoming production problem (minor) that was waiting for me when I got in.

And it wasn't even an extended weekend!

I think a majority of people and systems weren't ready to come back to work yet - Cause the phone support line was overloaded. I spent 45 minutes waiting on hold to open a trouble ticket that I found out someone had already opened.

Right when the phone support person came on the phone.

The creepy thing was that the lady wouldn't let me just hang up (I'm guessing for call statistics or something). So she asked for my name and whatnot. I was going to hang up, but I figured she could just look at my caller ID :)

Anyway, so I got to listen to instrumentally muzaked versions of hits from the 80's. Most notably, was the Squeeze song, Tempted.

Come on, you know how the chorus goes (sing it with me):
Tempted by the fruit of another
Tempted but the truth is discovered
What's been going on, now that you have gone
There's no other

(If only I were a muzak musician.) I would try to turn rap and hiphop songs into muzak. You know, something to nod your head to while you're riding up the elevator.

Brian brought up the best elevator music tune of all, The Girl From Ipanema - thanks to him, I had the song in my head the entire day. And it would start playing at random times. Like when I was trying to do stiff. I think Brian had it in his head too, so he would start whistling it.

And of course, I'd have to join in.

Anyway, enough of that silliness.

What else...

Ever since Cali, I've had this sporadic dry cough. I specify "dry cough" because I want to make it clear that it's not the yucky phlegm laden "cough of death" that a person usually has on a bus or the airplane seat next to you. Or standing in line in front of you.

Anyway, so this afternoon the cough got worse. Like I had to cough every few seconds. So one of my coworkers hooked me up with some orange Cepacol lozenge that looked like really good candy.

It certainly looked better than it tasted.

Anyway, I had forgotten about this stuff - It's the same company that makes that funky spray that you use when you have a sore throat. You know, the one that makes you all numbed up, and it makes you feel like your tongue is two times bigger than it actually is?

I love that feeling.

I was definitely sold - The cough went away for quite a few hours. Was I concerned that I didn't really have a sore throat? Nah.

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home