Friday, February 14, 2003

Hi all,

Hope you're having a good week. Happy Valentine's day!

I didn't realize that today was Valentine's day until one of the customer service agents at a place that I called told me. It was nice to hear it from someone even if she was a complete stranger :) Seriously though. I think Valentine's day is a niche holiday. No other holiday continuously bitch slaps people not in relationships for an entire month leading up to the holiday. You get reminded pretty much wherever you go. On the radio, TV, print, store displays, whatever. I'd probably feel differently if I were in a relatively "new" relationship, but no, not now. And don't get me started on the equivalent holiday about six months from now created by the Man to continue the bitch slapping.

So anyway, I was at the store the other day doing a little grocery shopping. I was done living life on the edge - I had just finished drinking the last of my gallon of milk that was 4 days past the expiration date. Every morning, I'd cross my fingers and do the sniff test. And I manged to make it through without drinking spoiled milk. I'm very glad. I usually get antsy around the expiration date (for milk, especially) because I'm paranoid that it'll go bad. But I think 4 days is pretty good, don't you? Now I know for next time.

Anyway, so back to the store. I love shopping on the weekdays during the day. It's my favorite, as you might have read before. One thing that I've noticed, is that I feel out of place shopping during this time. I'm surrounded by people that are very senior to me, if you will. So I feel kind of weird. When I go shopping, I am Express Man. I'm trying to get into the store, and get out, as fast as I can. Once in a while I forget something, but it's all part of the game, I tell you. So I'm at the checkout lane, behind this elderly lady. When she gets checked out and it's time to pay, she brings out this big drug dealer sized wad of cash. I'm talking big baller style. It's folded in half, and it's just big pimpin'. I kid you not. She whips off a few bills like it's no thang.

I always pay with plastic. Just because I think it's way more convenient. So instead of having bills in my wallet, it's usually a bunch of receipts. Hey, whatever works, right?

If someone were to ever mug me just for cash, they'd be very disappointed. I rarely deal on a cash basis. And when I do have cash, it's usually under 20 bucks. Anti-big baller style. There are times when I have to scrounge for that last dollar in change when I'm at the car wash. Hey, quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies are legal tender too :) But you know it's bad when I'm diggin in my car's ashtray for car wash money when it's supposed to be reserved for parking meter money.

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home