Monday, November 03, 2003

Hi all,

hope all's well.

So I'm a sucker for infomercials. I'm not saying that I buy the products that they sell (I never have, yet). I was telling Brian and Peggy about this nifty product that I saw during my television marathon over the weekend. It was this product, the somethingorother 2 (I wished I remembered the name - a link would be really nice about now). It was this neat oral care gadget that seemed really cool. I say oral care gadget because it did everything. Not only was it a electric toothbrush, it was a flosser and a tongue scraper! How cool is that. You used the same handle part, and it had these different attachments. Craziness!

Sorry, back to the story...

We were going out to lunch today and I was telling Brian and Peggy about this neat infomercial that I saw this weekend. And they just started laughing because they had come across (and watched) that same infomercial over the weekend. It was pretty funny :) and I thought I was the only veg in front of the television this weekend.

Now don't get me wrong - I don't dig all infomercials. Like that "set it and forget machine?" Fugghetaboutit. How often am I going to be cooking 9 steaks? A whole chicken? 9 salmon fillets? With steamed vegetables on top? Come on. If I ever bought into the hype there, I'd have my one steak rattling around the cooking cage every time the cooking cage spun around. Who eats like that nowadays?

I'll be honest though - Even though I think some things are stupid, I just can't resist the advertising, so I end up watching a good part of it. I try to guess how many easy payments of 9.99 (or some form of, just add a digit to the beginning of the number) the advertised item would cost me, and see what kinds of bonus items I'd get if I ordered right now.

One thing that I learned from the somethingorother 2 infomercial was that I need to be more diligent about brushing my tongue. I guess a ton of bacteria builds up in the back or something. Who knew?

Anyway...

So tonight, I tried to be all corporate and stuff - There was this mixer type of event tonight at one of the offices. It was this event where "new" minority employees got a chance to meet upper management. Our CEO was going to be there, so I thought I'd give it a try and go. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet him, but I did hear him speak. I was impressed when he gave his whole speech without any notes at all. I don't know if he just pulled a speech from his internal "speech file" or what, but nonetheless it was pretty neat. I guess that's why he's CEO.

Anyway, so this morning, I threw on my corporate white shirt / uniform and headed to this meet and greet after work. I'm glad I had the corporate whites on - There were so many suits in that room that I felt pretty underdressed. I'm glad I made some sort of effort :) So it was a very corporate event - more than I was definitely used to, that's for sure.

I don't know - I just can't get into corporate mode. I just can't. It's just not my bag, I guess. I admit, I'm a sucky schmoozer. I'll never be able to hock stuff for a living. Making forced or fakey conversation about work stuff is not me. I wouldn't mind trying to sell some cars though. Just to see how I'd do. Luxury cars would definitely be my bag. My top choices? Benzitos, BMWs and Lexus. That's what I'm talkin bout.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I'm glad I don't work downtown. It's definitely not my style. Wearing a suit everday? come on. I prefer to be in the 'burbs in operations :) Actually, I wouldn't mind even being in the call center where I could wear whatever the hell I wanted. Ahh, the good old days.

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home