Sunday, August 01, 2004

The sound of silence (and other stuff)

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well today. I've forgotten the last time I've written - it seems like it's been a while.

It's been quite the busy few days for me.

On Wednesday, I went on over to the other building to my second office. It wasn't as cool as I expected, and the whole thing reminded me how much I don't like environmental change until I cause it. Does that make sense?

Brian has been pushing me to establish a presence over across the street - I've been reluctant, just because I figured I would go over on my own time

(which probably would have been never)

Come on, I'm totally a creature of habit. I enjoy familiar things. Stable surroundings make me feel at ease.

So on Wednesday, I was supposed to go over to the other building after our team meeting. Of course I was stalling, but Brian was almost pushing me out the door to get me going (I think he knows me pretty well too). So I went over and hung out in a cube that was totally stacked with rand pieces of equipment. Apparently, since the cube had been inhabited, it had been converted into a mini computer lab. I managed to find a small space to work, and that was that.

I liked it over there, but I still felt like I was in everyone's way.

Thursday I was back at the ol home office :)

Friday, Brian was going over to the other building, so I went as well. This time, I went and claimed a different cube - I cleared off everything on the table and set up my workstation. Now that I have my own space over there, I was thinking about being there the last half of the week. We'll see. It all depends on where my meetings are going to be, I guess.

Thursday night I was at the office pretty late - I had to review some stuff before Friday - Around 6:00, the building HVAC got shut off. And all of a sudden, it got eerily quiet. Like my ears had popped or something. It took me a second to realize what had happened. Just the lack of white noise had totally thrown me off.

Needless to say, I didn't stay long after that.

Let's see, what else is on the mind today...

Friday I went with Drew to see Carrot Top. We had such a good time last year that we thought this year would be no different.

And that's what exactly what it was, for the most part. I would have to say that only 25% of his material for this show was actually new. He had some of the same props, told some of the same jokes, etc. Some updated stuff here and there, but not enough - So it was a little disappointing. It was like watching a funny movie for the second time. It's funny, but never as good as the first time...

Anyway, Drew and I went to the Market for dinner. I love their chicken - So good.

But it's hard to eat chicken without using your hands. Since we were out in public, I thought I'd use good table manners and try to eat with the provided silverware.

No such luck.

So I am adding chicken on the bone to the list of things that I will not eat when on a date. You just can't do it and come across as suave. Gotta use the fingers.

How do rich people eat chicken that still has bones? Do they just have Jeeves cut it up?

I guess that's what chicken fingers are for.

You see, I have a list of foods that I hesitate to eat in front of people that I don't know well (or want to impress).

#1 for me is spaghetti. I will only order certain types of pasta. I know, I know, the type of pasta used in a dish depends on the sauce, right? Whatever. I'm just not that skilled with the twisting of the noodles around the fork with the spoon. I either get very little or too much on the fork.

My main choice would be a safe rigatoni (the ridged tubes) where each piece fits handily on the tines of a fork. Bowtie and spiral pasta work well too.

My fav pasta type (since we are talking about it and I'm kind of hungry) is angel hair - preferably in a light cream sauce. :)

So now, chicken on the bone is added to the list as well. The menu of acceptable items slowly gets smaller...

So what is safe to eat?

-Kirk









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home