Sunday, November 30, 2003

the day after...

Hi all,

Hope you've had a good turkey day weekend, and are ready to go back to work tomorrow :)

I've had quite the eventful weekend. One of the busiest in a while, I'd have to say...

Yesterday was the long awaited, 10 years in the making class reunion. Overall it was good. No real surprises, as pretty much everything that people that I'd surveyed had said would happen was true. I'm not sure exactly what number of people showed up (I had heard about 100 or so). I think it may have been more, but I didn't bother counting or anything :)

There was a good mix of people, but I must say, the nerdier population (the groups that I mostly associated with) had a smaller representation. I shouldn't be surprised, right? But let me tell you, I wasn't complaining. Everyone looked really nice (especially the lizzadies) - It was like we were in a movie. I kept waiting for the choreographed dance sequence to start where everyone just rushed the dance floor and we'd bust out the latest dance moves all in unison like a Janet Jackson video.

As you may have guessed, nothing like that ever happaned. bummer. I guess I'll keep waiting. Who knows, it may happen at the 25th reunion. Then again, maybe not ;)

I ended up hitching a ride with my buddy Elliott (who I've known since grade schoool) - We got there really early, so nobody got to see my helicopter, nor my leased bodyguards. ;) So I rented everything for nothin.

The venue was nice - I had never been to this place before - it was this mondo banquet complex that could be divided into multiple rooms, depending on how much money, err, I mean people you had. The decorations were nicely done as well. Lots of balloons :)

And I have to give a nod to the DJ as well. He was actually mixing the tunes together, so everything sounded pretty swank.

So about the event:

I was pleased because all of the people that I ran into were really nice. The hierarchy of popularity seemed to have broken down for the most part. (although I heard the hierarchy was still in effect for some people, but I did not have the pleasure of talking to them). Anyway, I caught up with a few people and found out what they were up to...

Lots of professional people, lots of married couples, and of course a bunch of my classmates had kids as well.

All this time I'd been hanging out with people older than me let me blow off the idea of feeling the pressure to settle down. But yesterday my serene state was all wacktified, because everyone was "my age." I think the oldest kid I had heard of was 2 or so years old. Crazy. Experiencing fatherhood at 26 would be very odd for me, that's for sure.

I did have some nice surprises though, as people that I didn't know well in high school came to talk to me. I know, it sounds really highschoolish, but that's just how I remembered everyone, since that was when I last knew them. Does that make sense?

So it was a late night last night. I didn't get in till 2 this morning. Plus, as an added bonus, I was having trouble sleeping because my brain was working overtime thinking about the reunion and whatnot. I even thought about getting up to write in the blog last night, but I knew I'd be even more trashed today. I don't know what it was though, I kept on playing back stuff that happened during the evening, trying to sort out who did what, who's married, who's got kids whatever. All the facts were blending together. I knew when I lookat the clock and it was 5, I was totally screwed.

Needless to say, I was totally dragging some major arse all day today.

The funny thing, was that I got invited to a party after the reunion. How crazy is that? Here I was, thinking I was ready to go to bed, right? I could have partied all night if I wanted to. Feeling old and feeble, I had to decline :( I don't think I would have gone anyway if I was up to it anyway. I will definitely try to keep in touch with the inviter though ;)

Fast forward a few hours to today:

So I had purchased tickets to take my parents to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra this afternoon. I had thought I could handle having a late night last night, but I was wrong. Similar to how I was as a kid attending any classical music concert, I fell asleep quite a few times. During the good song too :) My parents used to get mad when I did, because of course, they didn't want to pay all this money for me to fall asleep, right? Well this time they couldn't really say anything - I had paid for the tickets :)

And anyway, why are classical music songs so long? Why do they have all of these multiple parts? what's up with that? ;)

I would never fall asleep at a pop music concert ;)

On to work tomorrow :)

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home