Monday, October 25, 2004

Post office challenge

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well this evening.

So last week, my cousin bought a CD (she lives in Toronto) and mailed it to me. It was the Canadian release only Live Acoustic EP. By the time it got to my hot little hands, the structural integrity of the package had been severly compromised, and the contents were completely gone.

I ended up receiving a letter size envelope from the post office - Inside, there was what was left of the packaging material, a letter, a form, and a return envelope. The CD was originally shipped in a bubble mailer. You know, one of those heavy duty yellow / brown mailers with the bubble wrap lining?

All I received was the front of the package. Literally, the front panel - and even that was in two pieces. The back of the package was totally gone. The packaging was really filthy, and looked like many many trucks had run it over.

I got a form letter saying that they (the post office) were sorry, and if I wanted them to try and find my stuff, I could detail exactly what it was, and they'd "look" for it in some lost items center. So I filled out their form, and even sent a picture of the album cover. I am not holding my breath, but if they come through, I will continue to rebuild my faith with the US Postal Service.

I guess with all the conveniences of e-mail (e.g., instant delivery, notification of failure) I've been spoiled. And this letter mutliation has happened more than once for me. The time previous to this was when I received half of a letter kept in a plastic bag from the post office. It was a letter written to me by my X - while she was in Mexico. I was really bummed when I got it. I guess the postal service has never been the same way to me since.

But I have to admit, this type of thing doesn't happen to me too often. Just when it does, all of the great things you feel about the post office go away. I was totally diggin them when they kep their office open until 7:00 p.m.! Now I don't have to rush out during lunch - I can just go after work...

Anyway, so I mailed out my "please do a search for me" form today. We'll see if I get any results.

-Kirk



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home