Friday, December 13, 2002

Hey,

Man, was I tired last night. So tired that I couldn't think of anything to write in my blog entry. I pretty much went to bed after that, almost tempted to bypass the strict dental care regimen. But I was good. Brush, floss, and mouthrinse. Take that, periodontal disease.

I just got back from the ice skating extravaganza. It'll actually be televised tomorrow (Saturday) from 2-4 on abc. Nifty, huh?

The Palace of Auburn Hills is pretty swank. It's been about 8 years since I was there last. I don't remember much about the venue, but it was impressive to see the place again. It's wild the way the Palace people convert the floor from a basketball stadium to an ice rink and then to other stuff like a concert stage.

It looked like my mom enjoyed herself, seeing all of the skaters perform and whatnot. Not being a major ice skating fan, I was more amused by the actual venue itself, and the people around me. There were supposed to be 6 dudes, and 6 young ladies skating this evening, but one lady dropped out. Funniest thing that happened during the show was in between the men's and women's skating sessions. The zamboni broke. I'm guessing that this thing probably doesn't get used that often at the palace (unless it's brought in from somewhere else). But the driver guy is just cruising around. And you know everyone likes to watch the zamboni go around. It's funny, and of course, it looks fun to drive. Well anyway, the driver guy is about 2/3 done, right? Next thing you know, this really loud noise starts. It continues, and everyone knows that something's gone bad. The crowd was mesmerized as to what was going to happen. The zamboni stops zamboning (heh) and shuts off the water / ice mechanism at the back of the vehicle. Next thing you know, there's like 5 people busting out onto the ice to see what happened. A few minutes later, they start running the zamboner again, and it's making the loud noise again. But they kept on using it anyway. The zamboni was obviously not well, but they used it anyway. From what I could see, it looked like there was too much snow / ice build up in the machine, so as the zamboni zamboned, it would leave this dual line ice poop trail (on both sides) behind it. Eventually, the sound stopped, but the operator just hauled through the rest of the surface, and put the zamboni away. So then these squeegie people come out onto the ice with their squeegies and start pushing the ice around into the sides and stuff so it's out of the way.

Wow, a long story to say that the zamboni broke. I was amused. I think the crowd was too. There, how's that for a summary.

But, the highlight of my evening though was not really the skating, but the ticket lady. I already had my tickets, but I thought I'd try my luck, be crafty, and see if there were any open seats left that were more towards the center of the ice (we were in the corner). You know, like a trade. Well the ticket lady was LOVELY. She reminded me of a young lady I met (that was equally lovely) when I was an intern one summer. Reminded me of Meg Ryan. Unfortunately, slow thinking gets you nowhere. Alas. Also the 1 inch thick pane of glass that separated me and the ticket lady didn't help either - Hope I didn't fog it up. Oh well, maybe next time East Entrance ticket lady.

Oh yeah, so I froze my arse off at this ice skating thing. I thought I was well prepared with a sweater and stuff on. Never did I wish more for my fleece lined sporty spice pants. And, the seats were hardly padded, so my buttocks hurt during and after the show. Poor me. But the minute I got home, I changed into my sporty spice pants, and now I'm toasty warm.

Allright. Must go to sleep now.

Catcha later,
Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home