Thursday, December 19, 2002

Hi Everyone,

I AM THE GARAGE DOOR OPENER MASTA!

Well, sort of. Today I conquered the garage hardware world by fixing the door opener. Woo hoo! Thanks to help from our family friend, Mr. E, I was able to find out what was wrong with the thing. I also found out that I'm a total wuss when it comes to opening stuff up to try and fix it. When it's consumer electronics stuff, not a problem. But when it comes down to hardcore "mechanical" stuff around the house, I'm pretty timid. I can only troubleshoot so far until I give up. So what was wrong, you may ask? There was a plastic (why it's plastic I don't know) power gear that was totally shredded inside. Of course, it's the one that turns the chain to move the garage door. The gear was so badly wacked that there was white plastic shreds all over the inside of the case. Almost looked / felt like the white stuff that's on top of those Hostess baked goods (I forget what they're called - sno balls or something). Oh yeah, there were no teeth left on this gear either. Nuttiness, I tell you. I am not really sure what happened to cause the shred-ation.

Kudos to Sears for having a kickass service/parts place near me. It's wild how this place carries almost every part for hardware stuff they sell. If you were truly hardcore, you could make your own Sears products from just the individual parts. Sure, it would be 10 times as much as if you just bought it new, but you'd have the satisfaction of knowing that it was assembled with pride by your own bare hands. Plus, you'd know the thing inside and out.

So if you ever need help with your Craftsman garage door opener, model 139.53615 (I'm not making this up) and you've stripped your drive gear, you'll know who to contact. :)

Today was day one of vacation. Totally cool, man. It was an administrative type day, but that's good, so I can just get most of it out of the way, and get on with enjoying my vacation.

Until next time...

-Kirk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home